Adventures of Darth Daddy

Sunday, October 01, 2006

The last hour of my life

Well, it had to happen - my Windows XP finally crashed, and layed there, dead on the size of the information superhighway. Ever since updating a few programs (and hardware, like this suckass MACH Speed motherboard), I've had hang ups, stalls, reboots, and a frequent message from windows saying "You're computer just recovered from a very serious problem". I figured "Yeah, I know - but it's better now, right?". Until tonight.

It would try to start up - get to that screen where the little ball goes across the screen - then BAM - it would flash a blue screen and reboot. Before all this shit happened, it DID tell me something about a windows file being corrupt. Shit happens.

Anyways - the only way to get back up and running was to spend the last hour reinstalling Windows. It's a pain, but hopefully I can get rid of some other issues, like it refusing to install the windows fax driver.

Only problem is now I have find, download, and reinstall ALL THAT DAMN PROGRAMS, that make my computer time worth it, like Foxfire, DVD43, DVDshrink, Divx player, Winamp, and all the install software from the video card/logitec camera/printer - ALL OF WHICH decided it was some fucking grand idea to throw installation file over into the Windows/system or Windows/system32 folder (which is blank now).

Well, I'd better get to it.

4 Comments:

  • At 11:28 PM, Blogger Idaho Dad said…

    I had some sort of problem with Windows that started after I had updated Firefox a few months ago. All of a sudden my reboots were slooooow, like 30 minutes for Windows to restart. And once it did, programs like Firefox and iTunes would take 3 or 4 minutes to start up. Once everything was up and running things were fine, so I learned to live with it but worried that something might get worse.

    A couple days ago I had to restart my computer and was dreading the long wait time, but whatever was going on had fixed itself?

    Now how the heck does THAT happen? A computer just fixes itself? I'm totally clueless. Did Windows download some badly needed update or something? Guess I'll never know... Just glad everything's working good again. I hate computers sometimes.

     
  • At 8:49 AM, Blogger Margaret said…

    Grrrrrrr! That has to be frustrating. Hope it all goes smoothly for you, one program at a time and you'll be back up and running. (knocking on wood) I've had this HP for four years now and the only problem was I needed more memory - which wasn't a problem. Being married to a supergeek can sometimes be a good thing. Except oddly enough he crashes his own system all of the time. Now you know, if we shared a computer "I" would get the blame for that. LOL!

     
  • At 2:44 PM, Blogger Kim said…

    I'll tell you what...it is a real pain trying to re-install all the stuff you like on your computer to a new computer. It takes forever. And some of the stuff you cannot simply copy and move on a CD or flash-drive. I think we just forget how much time it takes to get our computers the way that we like them, and then when we switch we notice it all. Have fun!

     
  • At 11:09 AM, Blogger KC said…

    Thanks for the reminder to back up my computer this morning. I strongly recommend you buy a large external hard drive and use it often (big ones can be under 100 dollars). It wouldn't solve all your problems of reinstalling Windows, but it would be great to have if the whole hard drive ever breaks.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Site Meter