Adventures of Darth Daddy

Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Bad ukemi

Ukemi (oo-kem-E) is basically "the art of falling". Today, Darth Lance performed bad ukemi off of the couch, and ended up with rather large goose-egg on his forehead. I heard him and his brother fussing, and entered the room to see the tail end of the fall. A rather graceful twist, but a rather ubrupt ending to it. His hair fell over the bruise, so although I comforted him, I didn't see the goose egg till 30 minutes later. And I freaked. Logan had been running around with just power ranger underwear on (he has changing in and out of different costumes from his costume box), and I told him to go find clothes and get dressed. I was paniced a bit. I raided the shelf to find my wallet, and the Dr card , and the phone - called the dr and was only able to leave a message for a triage nurse.

The bruise was over his right temple area - was the size of my thumb - bloody red splotches on top, but was outlined from underneath with purple. I thought "OH SHIT _ he's cracked his skull open and has a brain bleed!!". He did not. From the impact moment (or at least a minute later when he calmed down), he had been in great spirits. No dizzyness, or vommiting, or any sign of concusion.

Anyways, by the time (20 minutes later) a triage nurse had called, I already saw that the purple swelling was subsiding, and that I had paniced for nothing.

But the real attention of this story should go to Darth Logan. I told him that we needed to take baby to the dr, and to get dressed. He saw that I was paniced. When I hung up the phone from leaving my voice message, I saw a fully dressed 3 yr old, with shorts/shirt/socks AND shoes sittng on the floor in front of the 1.9 yr old. Big brother was putting sandals on his little brother, and saying (in a soft voice), "You be ok baby - it gonna be ok - we take you to dr."

I've had moments of medical emergency before, with adults or myself, and I've always been able to keep emotion out. Guess something was off today, cause although I was able to get done what needed to be done, I've never felt that paniced before.

But seeing how my 3 yr old acted in the midst of all that - that made me proud! I'm reminded of a line from New Jack City "Am I my brother's keeper?". This boy is.

2 Comments:

  • At 8:18 PM, Blogger Margaret said…

    Awww that was so sweet of Big Brother.

    No Eggheads here yet, just a dislocated elbow and a dog bite. Mentally is a different story...

    ..Daddio is currently watching Lord of the Rings with her and walking her through the whole movie. I guess Cinderella is out as her favorite movie now.

     
  • At 9:00 PM, Blogger High Power Rocketry said…

    : )

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Site Meter