Adventures of Darth Daddy

Monday, April 17, 2006

Raggin on the YMCA again

BTW - Yes, that IS me in the Easter Bunny costume. Didn't get any bunny work this year (or last year either), but at least we can use it for family pics.


Today, the wife went back to work (no more epidemic sickness , and no more spring break. ) If this last week was any indication of how the summer will be, I'd better find a few more hobbys that will get me out of the house (or just hide). Not the best week for marital cooperation. The kids, on the other hand, have been pretty damn good.

This mouring started with a trip to BoogerKing for breakfast. Then, we headed over to the Y. After their recent attempt to ban me from the gym area, I've been "checking " the boys in (officialy and shit). I write their names in the book, I give them their ID stickers, and all that shit. Today, after a 4 minut electure from Logan about how "I no want you to leave me", he darted into the play room with no trouble. (They were not down at the gym yet). Lance, however, got rather upset when daddy left, even though he had about 12 other toddlers to play with. I went to the locker room, changed, and peeked in as I walked by. Logan was having a blast, but Lance was still sitting their crying. As these mouring Y trips are for THEIR benefit and not mine, it didnt seem to leave him there so upset. So I signed him out (Lance only), and took him with me to the gym.

When we walked in, they had about 15 toddlers (ages 2.5 -4yrs old), and were playing with a parachute. After about 10 minutes of parachute play, they gathered around a radio for the Chicken Dance. Then, they scattered to the four winds, for "random play". Lance watched, laughed, and was amused to see other kids playing. We chased each other around, and he even walked around kicking a basketball.

GOOD COMMENT: Now THIS is the kinda shit that the Childwatch people should be doing when they take the kids to the gym. Ther eare usually about 20 or so kids, and about 3-5 staff members, so it wouldn't kill them to break out the parachute (from the same closet they get the balls from), and play. Also, Chewbacca brought a radio in once, and although most of her music selection sucked (mostly latin club stuff), she did have the I LIKE TO MOVE IT MOVE IT song that the kids responded well to. Anyways, I felt bad for leaving Logan in the room with the lazy ass childwatch people, when these kids were having fun.

BAD COMMENT: All those kids had paid $35 to be in a program they call KIDS IN MOTION. They meet in a group on Mondays only, for like 5 weeks (so 5 playdates), and get to do fun shit that they either should get to do in childwath, OR that their friggin parents should be doing with them ANYWAYS! $35 dollars for some half wit to play with my kids half as well as I do on a normal day! NOW I see why their lame ass childwatch people don't do shit with the kids. Cause they are saving all the fun shit for the kids with parents that have $35 extra dollars. Now, I liked the play group better then the childwatch, but I didn't see $35 worth of organization and planning. More like someone with their head less up their ass than the rest of the childwatch people, so she got promoted to "Develope a play program" person. Not only have I had experience in child entertainment, but Ive also been put on the spot (like at large picnics or corporate events), to come up with something onthe fly - to do with a large group of kids, that deosn't suck. And I've been lucky enough to pull it off. So I can see random order versus organized play.

MORE BAD SHIT - since Im on a roll
As we walked from the truck to the Y, we saw a room with about 8 mommies and their "under 2 yr olds", sitting and listening to music. THIS class, called KinderMusic, wants $75 from you. THey want me to pay them money, so they can sit me down with my kid and let us listen to music in a fun and interactive way. Maye this is a good idea for the musically declined parent (and my parent I mean MOTHER!). I gues this is another area where I have the upper hand. Not only was/am I a DJ, but I sing pretty damn well, and have a background in performign arts. SOOOOOO - My own person version of this $75 class, which Ive been doing since the boys were born, is to burn my own cds (with appropriate music that they respond to at the time), and either play it at home (and dance to each song), or jam on it (Incidentally, an Excellent song!) in the car. The wife couldn't carry a tune if you placed it in a bucket, but the boys and I LOVES us some music. I'll make a listing of some of the songs that we are currently "in to".

SUBJECT CHANGE: MY MOTHER

In a very suprise move, my mother, the very next day after our fight, came over the house with a desk for Logan. The wife and I both noted that she was kinda "testing the waters" with me, but she was very nice to the boys. She asked us out to eat the next night (or so), and notn only brought over easter dinner on Saturday night (a tradition - after the basket is blessed by the priest, the fast is broken and most families go home and have a late meal), BUT she also came over on Sunday with baskets for the boys. No sign of any trouble over our agrument ( or my stand) at the Mongolian BBQ place. Very welcomed atmosphere, but very unlike my mother.

Worth noting, is that back in 2003, it was Logan's first Easter. My mom did somethign that led us to a verbal argument, and she got pissed. She got pissed and never showed up for Easter. That infurated me! Be as mad as you want to at me, for whatever, but don't fuck up your grandchild's first Easter. I've never really forgiven her for that (Ive moved on, but it's still filed under "Very stupid shit ") I'm guessing that she didn't want a repeat of how angry I got over THAT year, so set aside our argument this year. Good going Mom!

OK - guess that's about it for now. Off to try and find some dumb ass videos online.

1 Comments:

  • At 10:23 AM, Blogger KC said…

    No kidding you got on a roll there. There's more to life than the Y, I'm sure you know.

    Somehow I got my girl to the point of competent dogpaddling by going to their pool over and over for about 2 years. It's not all bad. Does yours have a pool?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Site Meter