Adventures of Darth Daddy

Sunday, January 22, 2006

I spoke too soon

I came up last night to tell how sick Logan had got. I only got 1 sentence typed, and I heard him crying downstairs, and left to take care of him.

He's been sick, and I lost my temper with him earlier Thursday. I felt bad about it, and after getting milk at Walmart . .. I scanned the clearance isle and found a HUGE action figure of the THING from Fantastic 4. Logan calls him "Brown Hulk", and has a Spiderman and Batman the same sized. I figured I'd suprise him with it the next morning. He was already in bed when i got home.

He woke up from his sleep in a very disoriented mood, and coughing pretty bad. He took one look at Brown Hulk, and tears ran down his face. He told me that "brown Hulk is bad. Brown Hulk scares me. Me no want brown hulk. Throw in garbage, dada." So much for that.

I ended up laying with him to calm him down. He tossed and turned. We had only gotten about 1 or 2 hours sleep when he woke me up crying. He said that he was cold. But he was under 2 blankets, and cuddles next to me.
A quick check of his forehead showed that he was burning up with fever.

He spit up a few times, and had me scared to death. His temp was around 103. He was hot to the touch. I debated on taking him to the hospital. This was around 3-4am. I took him out of the bedroom, so that we wouldn't wake up the baby. Sat him on the couch, and planned my next move. The wife was still sleeping, and I wanted her to get as much rest as possible. At the same time, I was started to get scared that SOMETHING needed to be done, and I wasn't sure what it was. I got him Tylenol to reduce the fever..but he threw a coniption fit about having to take the medicine. I tried to put a wet wash cloth on him to draw some heat out, but he only screamed and cried for me to stop.

After a whiule, the wife woke up to see what was goign on. He was in pretty bad shape. We decided that we had done all we could to get his fever down, ad it did start to decrease , but only by 1 or 2 degrees. The pediatricians that we go to have from when they open until 9am reserved for walk ins. We got there 30 minutes before they opened.

And wouldnt you knwo it - Logan went from deaths door to "oh, just fine" in the short time of the car ride to the Dr office. The wife called into work late, cause Logan was so upset that she wasn't going to the Dr with us. As soon as his crazy ass hit that waiting room, he was runnign around, yelling, playing with toys, singing songs ... we yelled at him to act sick, he was going to make us look like idiots!

They examinied him ,and said that he was fine. he had some "it's goign around" virus, and his fever had broken. We sat there looking at the now "normal " Logan in disbelief. Someone MUST HAVE switched kids on the ride over. There was no way this was the same child who was crying, and screaming, and buring up with fever, and begging me "NO MORE, dada.....NO MORE!". THe same child that tossed and turned for 30 minutes unable to get back to sleep.

Flash forward to last night - I came upstairs to blog, and as soon as my ass hit the chair, he wok eup crying. His fever had returned, but not nearly as bad as the night before. Got medicine into him, and had to lay with him on the couch. I think I got about 3 hours sleep, (mind you, I only got about 2 hours sleep the night before..my ass was REALLy dragging at this point), when I woke up and realized how uncomfotable I was. I was on my back, and he was on his back , between my legs. His head was on my stomache, and I desperately needed to get up and stretch. I managed to wiggle out , and lift him up. I placed him in his own bed, and as I stood ther ein silence (I SWEAR!! Silence! Kwai Chang Caine would have been proud of me), Lance starts coughing, sits up , and starts crying. I cant win. I finally get one down, and the other one wakes up. I tried giving him his paci, and rubbing his back... no good. He was awake and he was unhappy. Diaper was fine. I layed him down next to me on the floor (we were on top of about 3 comforters and had blankets for covering up with, so it was warm and soft. He would not go to sleep. He kept waiting for me to doze off, and popped me in the nose. A few times of this, and he got carted off to mommy.

I woke up this mouring to find both awake and in good spirits. After getting Lance his milk, he played with Logan for about 2 hours, while I faded in and out of sleep.

Tonight, as I started to type all this - again, he woke up. He was crying (no fever this time - HURRAY!), but had had a nightmare about fire and bad guys. I calmed him, and left him to his mother to deal with . I need a break. And sleep.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Site Meter