Adventures of Darth Daddy

Saturday, January 14, 2006

Where the hell is your head, lady?!

With the discussion of how differently us dads and THOSE moms act when at a play area, I bestow upon you the following story:

Yesterday, it was such a nice day outside. Not a hint of rain, and short sleeve temperatures. Kinda. I put long sleeves on the kids anyways, and headed off to a local park. This place is called Mt. Trashmore. It was built on a trash dump, and has a BIG ASS (or wicked big) hill seperating the park into 2 sections. A play area is on one side. The kids and I started there....Logan running free, and Lance in a backpack. I don't like the setup of the play area... it isn't fenced in, and there are too many blind spots. Anyways, I kept a good eye on Logan as he ran around and up and down.


Once, I lost sight of him. For about 10 seconds...I freaked, kinda. I started calling for him, and he answered "Right here , Da."

We decided to take a hike up the BIG BIG hill, and headed up (with the play area to our backs). There was a woman sitting half way up the hill, with a small child. Another small child, roughly age 3-4 was at the bottom heading up to her. So, Small Child is in the lead, followed closely by Logan, then Lance and I pulling up the rear. THe child past the woman...Logan passed the woman...as I neared, she asked "Are both of those kids yours?", meaning both the runnign toddlers. I said "No - but $20 says he's here with his mother, and he's escaped the play area".

I called to this little shit to stop, and he thought it was a game, and ran faster. I tried to tell BOTH of them to sit down, but only Logan listened. Finally, as we neared the top of the hill, I told Logan to tackle his ass. And Logan took of with purpose! The child was about 10 ft from the top of the hill when FINALLY, we heard a voice from the play area calling the boy's name (or at least what I hoped was the boys name). Logan had snagged him just as he crested the hill. So with Logan in my right hand, and Noah in left, we went back over the hump, and began walking him back to his shitheaded mother. No doubt she was too busy yacking on a cell phone, or socializing with other moms to be bothered with making sure here kid didn't dissapear.

As we walked back, I told Noah that he should NEVER run away like that, that it would make him mommy really sad. Logan ooked over at him and said "BIG no no, little boy". I was SOOOO proud!!

I wish I had thought to chew the mom a new asshole...or really bitch her out, but after she walked all the way up the hill (I figured she needed the time to reflect), I handed her son over, and just shook my head. Almost as an afterthought, this bitch turns and says "oh, thank you for bringing my son back to me".

I just shook my head and said to Logan "Asshole moms will NEVER cease to amaze me".


This insident gave me a great opportunity to see that although Logan takes off like a bat out of hell, I've at least layed the ground work - for him learning what not to do. ANd felt very justified at how I watch over him like a hawk, and keep an eye on him at all times.

THis will definietly make me look even worser (is hat a real word?) at the social clubs disguised as "play groups", where mom's too busy with her own "play", and little "Noahs" wander off to God knows what end.

Shannon

ps. To all my SAHD readers.... - screw all those weird looks - keep up the good work!

1 Comments:

  • At 4:41 PM, Blogger Idaho Dad said…

    Starting to read your post, I just knew that it was going to end with a snide remark from the mom.

    What is with these people? You'd think she'd prefer that you had just let her son run off onto the freeway.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Site Meter