Adventures of Darth Daddy

Monday, August 09, 2004

Journed to Korea, Japan, China, and the twilight zone!

Where do I start this entry? I went to the new dojo to check it out - and sign any paperwork that was needed for me to try it out. They said to come back later - and try all the different classes. From 5-6 was Teakwondo. Let me set the scene. I asked many times if there were adults too, and they said SURE there are. So here it is, 5pm, and here I am, 34 yrs old, and sitting in a class with 21 kids under 11 yrs old. I had to laugh in spite of myself. Thought of leaving - but stayed just for the humor of being abe to say I did it! What a bust! 18 yr old teacher - wearing a sweatshirt - acting like he was a bouncer at Chucky Cheese. Unbelievable. Then------then I thought the next class (Jujitsu) starts at 6, but it don't. No no no - at 7. Miscommunication. But they had an adult sparring class from 6-7, so I took that. It was ok. The Jujitsu class was a blast - brought back some fond memories . The sensei went thru things kinda fast, but it was enjoyable. Then, I joined a Shaolin Kung Fu class (already in progress) from 8-9. The day started off (at the skool) as a friggin joke...then turned around and was very pleasant. I'm still in awe that ther eare Japanese and Korean arts taught at the same place...but I'll get over it.
Overall, I think the dojo is a big front for a day care center. Walking in, you';d swear you walked into a Superman comic book. Not that that's entirely bad - but some more traditional stuff would have been nice. I created the term "Chuckie Cheese Karate-do". Sooo - as it stand - the tkd is a joke - the jujitsu is fancinating - and the Kung fu was different (first time I ever taken a chinesse martial art class). But it Kwai Chang Caine (TV-Kung Fu) did it, it might too.
Still think Im gonna go check out the Aikido dojo - just for my own piece of mind.

Well - off to either play games or watch Rocky 3. "I pity da fool!"

2 Comments:

  • At 10:34 AM, Blogger saga said…

    "Chuckie Cheese Karate-do" <----- H-I-L-A-R-I-O-U-S.
    Sorry they weren't straight with you, but APPLAUSE for sticking it out, if not for the sake of saying you did it, but for the amusement of your blog viewers (like me). Oh, btw - have I mentioned how much I enjoy your blog? Glad it worked out for you in the end!

    cheers
    ~saga

     
  • At 2:07 AM, Blogger Darth Daddy said…

    Thanks Saga - didnt knwo that anyone was following the adventure...but I thank you. Stay tuned...next show in 2 days. Remember to tip the waitresses (but not over!)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Site Meter