Adventures of Darth Daddy

Saturday, March 24, 2007

Some quick thoughts

Wednesday night marked the end of the "paci" era for little Lance. He bit off the end of the paci (and presumably swallowed it). We had limited his use of pacis to nap and bed time, but now they are a thing of the past. I remember when Logan was convinced that he was a big boy, and that the "paci fairy" was coming that night to take his pacifiers. The Paci Fairy would give those pacifiers to sad little babies who didn't have any. That story not only made him feel a finality to the pacis being gone (no negociating), but also empowered him, since he was doing it for the greater good of crying little babies.

Lance, however, we fear is about at a 6 month delay. Globally. He climbs like a monkey and is a daredevil, but even his run is still a fast paced gallop (ackward and lacking grace). The process of removing the paci was actually easier with Lance. I showed him that it was broke, and had him throw it in the trash. That night was hard for him to sleep, but he got over it. I just wish he was at the cognitive level that Logan was, so that I'd get to tell that "paci fairy" story again.



With another baby on the way, we're (meaning IM) having to seriously rethink the whole "I got a 4x4 Blazer" thing. The front seats have airbags that are not able of being turned off. Unlike my wife who is VERY turned off by the truck now (or maybe it's just me). Anyways, It's going to be very tight fitting a third car seat in the back of the Blazer. Sure wish I had 4 grand to throw down on a used Yukon, like the neighbor just did.
I've started to take another thought about un-mothballing the 1977 hearse. Before the truck became mine (we got hit by a drunk driver - the truck was totalled - I bought it back and restored it), I had fixed up the hearse to be the "new" family car for me. And no, I have not problems rolling up to church or preskool in a black hearse with flames on the hood, and unloading 3 demon spawn. The only thing is that damn 440cu in engine - and that gas prices are going thru the friggin roof (again) (still). At least with the Blazer, that 6 cylinder is compensating for the fact that it's a brink on a roller skate. Ya gotta remember that since the late 80's , my ride had always been a black Pontiac Firebird. V8. Going to the truck was humbling, but seeing how it protected my family arose a new found sense of respect from me (to the truck). Prior to the accident, I hated that goddamned truck. And it hated me back. But we've seemed to get along pretty well for the last few year(s).

Not sure if I wrote about this, but on Saturday March 17th (St Patricks Day), Logan tested and passed his karate test. It was a great event. 3 peewees tested together, and 4 teen/preteens tested seperately. All passed with flying colors. This was not only a triumph for those who tested, but for me as well. I've been the primary instructor for the past few months. Watching these kids (especially my OWN) performing karate basics, blocking, kicking, KIAIing (yelling) with all their heart, and spouting off common dojo terms in Japanese was heartwarming. It appearantly appeased the black belt panel that tested them, because for THEIR good show I received a promotion. No longer part of the "apprenticeship program", I can not spout a full 1st degree shodan. In karate terms, that means not I am a full black belt. In realistic terms, that means that I'm still the person who scours the internet for martial arts color sheets for the kids, but NOW I can do it with a different belt on. Seriously, it's nice to have achieved a respectable rank without having fallen prey to the trappings of the numerous commercial dojos I've trained in. None of the bullshit of charging outrageous testing fees, or massive membership fees to Internations organizations in order to verify your rank. None of the keeping me from testing so that I can be used to teach the lower belts. None of it. But what I did find was opportunity. To share what I've learned, to step up when needed in a leadership role, and fill in the gaps to make the wall stronger. I've been given a wide degree of latitude by the head instructor, as far as teaching strategies, technique differences, testing requirements, and so forth. But at the same time (to pat myself on the back), I'm the only one there who can name all of the 20 some kids by name (and be able to discuss their strength and weaknesses, on and off the mat).

Ok - enough on that - Im off to raid the web.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Site Meter