Adventures of Darth Daddy

Sunday, February 26, 2006

Odd world we live in

You're my DADA -- You're my Friend!

2 nights ago I had a thought provolking entry about how male parents (non-stay at home dads), in playground situations, can usualy perpetuate the stereotype of the verbally inadequate caveman type - which is why most women won't talk to us (US meaning us full time dads who CAN actually speak in sentences longer than 4 words. As fate would have it, I had to save it as a draft - I was half way through, when I heard Logan crying downstairs. He had woke up, came out to the living room, and was upset. He said "I can't like go sleep my room", which translated means "I don't want to go back to my room to go to sleep". So I layed down with him.

He's been on a kick recently, of giving suprise hugs and kisses, and saying either "You're my dada" or "You're my friend". So after we got the blankets sprawled on his bedroom floor, and suggled up - I whispered "Love ya boy ...You're my friend". He whispered back "You're my dada". The last thing I remember before wakign up the next morning was sayign "Forever and ever". All nights should end like that.





**** A big note of thanks to my Steelers friend (Dad with 2) for holding the door for me while I snuck in the movies ..oops....Gmail. I got the name and account, just haven't piddled with it to see all the neat features is says it has. ***



TONIGHTS MAIN ENTRY : WEIRD WORLD


Logan has really been picky about what movies he'll watch lately. Ones that have ben his favorites are now cast aside. So, the other day, I was stumped what to put on - and popped in Forrest Gump. He LOVED it.
A line in the movie, towards the end, has Forrest asking something like "Are we have a destiny? Or are we just blown about , like on a breeze". Tonight, as Logan lay with the wife on the couch for "prenight night", this movie was on tv. He was fast asleep before that line (near the end of the movie), but the next thing on tv really drove this question home....

Last night I was up WAY too late. Shoulda been in bed, but was up till around 1:30am. As I walked by the tv (wife fast asleep on couch), and was going to turn it off, I saw that the Andy Griffith show was coming on . I used to watch this show as a boy - and only watch it from time to time since growing up. I heard someone refer to the show as "An introspection into the relationship of a single dad and his son". I got to thinking "Im not single, but I AM stay at home. I will watch with "different eyes". See if the show will offer me something different. So I sat down, and watched rom 1:30-2am. The episode centered around Barney Fife, played by Don Knotts. I got to thinking about how funny he was as an actor - not just as the bumbling Barney, but also in films like The Incredible Mr Limpet, The Apple Dumpling Gang, Mr Furley on 3s company, and even as a guest on the Scooby Doo cartoons. The show ended, I turned the tv off, and went to bed.
FLASH FORWARD - tonight, after Gump went off, the news came on saying that Don Knotts had passed away Friday night. Wow. What are the odds? I can only wish that, when my time comes--at that same moment ----someone is thinking about me in a kind light.

Don Knotts (1924-2006). Rest in Peace

1 Comments:

  • At 2:05 AM, Blogger Idaho Dad said…

    Nicely said. I've spent so much time with Don Knotts in the past year, I feel like he was a family friend. Weird how the TV can make us feel that way sometimes.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Site Meter