Adventures of Darth Daddy

Wednesday, June 16, 2004

That damn hearse!!

I'm starting to feel like I've ben kicked in the nuts by this thing too many times. One of the few things passed down to my by my stepfather (deceased) is his warped sense of humor, cleverly deguised as a rare 1977 Crystler Town and Country hearse. Black - with red/yellow/blue flames on the hood. The beast had mechanical problems, and has sat for a while, but I hate to get rid of it. It's an heirloom - it really really cool looking - and has something that most hearses don't have (but I dearly need to make it a family car) - a back seat. It has braces on it, as it was modified to hold a casket, but I can easily fabricate a legal backseat. Logan is 1.5yrs old, and can ride up front in my 1969 Caddy hearse - but when the new baby come, we need a family car. I'd rather be caught dead in the back of my hearse than seen alive driving a sissy minivan. So there is a great deal of pressure from the wife to "Make it run" or "Make is go away".
It is having power problems. I replaced the starter, the battery cables, and the startr relay. I think I narrowed it down to the alternator and/or the voltage regulator. Tomorrow, I'll replace both - and may even get a new battery, to eliminate all doubt of it's worthiness. I can see so much potential in this car - we even took it out of state on a camping trip a long while back (before the babies started to arrive). I want sooo much to be the cool dad - with the awesome ride. If this next "fix it" attempt fails, I'm afraid it's off to Ebay. Sell it if I can - and maybe buy someone elses problem, and see what I can do with it.
I've driven the baby around in the 69 Caddy hearse - and he loved it! With no back seat, he can legally sit up front ( in his car seat). When he was younger, it was turned backwards - and he was right at my elbow, watching me drive. When he reached 1 yr old, I turned it around , and he could see everything! Big BIG windsheild, and interier - it's 23 ft long.
Anyways - the baby was an angel today - we went shopping for training pants (he actually went peepee in th potty - --the room, not the commode part - but he's getting close!)

SO continue the cronicles of Darth Daddy, and his voyage of salvage of the death mobile named Paul.

1 Comments:

  • At 12:18 PM, Blogger Grant said…

    Shannon,

    Welcome to blog land. I like you're post about the hearse, send me a picture of it, to my e-mail address. I had a neighbor who had two of them. One of them was their bands equipment carrier. Fix it up. I use to restore Camaros, till someone stole all my tools, waaah!

    Grant

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
Site Meter